Mohelno, Třebíč distr., Vysočina Region
Prehistoric barrow cemetery
(7th–6th cent. BC)
The prehistoric barrow cemetery in Mohelno is known mainly for a large Hallstatt barrow, preserved thanks to a wayside shrine of St Anthony on its summit. Recently, a barrow cemetery west of this barrow was investigated; the mounds on the surface have disappeared long ago, the subsoil graves have stone constructions and contain cremation burials. Occasional construction work and accompanying rescue excavations have uncovered some graves; we are, however, still uncertain whether they originally formed a single vast necropolis. The dominant barrow at St Anthony’s may have contained a grave or tomb of the local elite. While this barrow cemetery is part of a national nature reserve, a similar cemetery nearby in the Na Černých field is still threatened by farming.
References: Dvořák 1926; Koštuřík a kol. 1986; Stegmann-Rajtár 1992; Kos 2015a.
Navigation point: N 49°06‘38.29“, E 16°11‘03.13“ (barrow).
Map notes: A – barrow; B – graves. Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.Sto zajímavých archeologických lokalit Moravy a Slezska – MohelnoDvořák, R. 1926: Archeologický nález v Mohelně, Od Horácka k Podyjí 3, 6–7.pdfKos, P. 2015: Mohelno (okr. Třebíč), Přehled výzkumů 56, 205.pdf