Holštejn, Blansko District, South Moravian Region
Prehistoric cave, ruin of the medieval castle of Holštejn and deserted settlement
(2900 BC–15th cent. AD)
This vast deserted settlement complex, consisting of the ruins of Holštejn Castle (Hohler Stein in German) shows the remains of a fortified area, a deserted settlement of the same name, clearly visible medieval roads and the remains of lime kilns. Nartman of Čeblovice had the castle built in 1278 and it was deserted in the 15th century. Interestingly, it was connected by a rock corridor to Hladomorna (“dungeon”) Cave, situated directly below it. Although the cave was used in prehistory, which is witnessed by finds from the Eneolithic (Corded Ware culture), it is mostly connected with the Middle Ages when it was used as a prison.
References: Černý 1979; Hasoň – Koudelka 2015; Hosák – Zemek a kol. 1981; Štětina 2016.
Navigation point: N 49°24'08.1", E 16°46'35.1" (below the rock wall and in front of Hladomorna Cave).
Map notes: Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.