Stěbořice, Opava dist., Moravian-Silesian Region
Early medieval barrow cemetery
(from the 3rd quarter of the 9th cent. to the 9th/10th cent.)
The early medieval barrow cemetery in Stěbořice is the only burrow cemetery found in Silesia. It has been known since the end of the 19th century; an archaeological excavation was undertaken in 1952–1961. The cemetery yielded 43 burial mounds arranged in north-south lines. In the barrows, skeletal remains of men, women and children were discovered. Weapons, parts of riding gear, jewellery, buckets, iron axes, arrowheads, spurs, buckles, knives, silver and bronze earrings, finger rings, glass beads and ceramic fragments were among the grave goods. Based on these finds, the barrow cemetery can be dated to around 900 AD. The round or oval barrows are still visible in the ground; they are 2–8 m in diameter and their heights reach up to 0.5–1.2 m.
References: Jisl 1952a; Kouřil – Tymonová 2013.
Navigation point: N 49°56‘18.75“, E 17°48‘51.63“.
Map notes: Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.Sto zajímavých archeologických lokalit Moravy a Slezska – StěbořiceKouřil, P. – Tymonová, M. 2013: Slovanský kostrový mohylník ve Stěbořicích. Brno.pdf