Mosty u Jablunkova, Frýdek-Místek distr., Moravian-Silesian Region
Early Modern fortification
The area of Velká šance ('Great Sconce') has yielded evidence of military engineering in the highly frequented area of the Jablunkov Pass (Jablunkovský průsmyk). The system of military fortifications controlled the south border of Silesia and protected it from a Turkish expansion. The oldest defensive structures are dated back to around 1550. In 1663, Velká Šance was rebuilt and bastions were added. A number of further reconstructions took place until 1848, when the fortification was abolished. The remains of Velká Šance are situated in an elevated location; currently, the outer fortification line consisting of an earthwork and moat is best preserved among the extant fortification elements. Today, the area is a cultural monument, and its owner, the municipality of Most u Jablunkova, is trying to improve its condition and presentation to the public.
References: Krůl – Nováková 2005; Krůl 2010, 2015.
Navigation point: N 49°29‘54.09“, E 18°44‘35.68“ (Velká šance).
Map notes: Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.Sto zajímavých archeologických lokalit Moravy a Slezska – Mosty u Jablunkova