Holasovice, Opava distr., Moravian-Silesian Region
Prehistoric hillfort and medieval manorial farm
(around 3600 BC, 1200-750 BC, 12th–13th cent.)
The area of the prehistoric hillfort and a lordly farmyard of Holasovice belongs to the sites with the longest archaeological research on the Moravian-Silesian border. Discovered in the 19th century, it features two superimposed prehistoric ditches, which delimited the upper ward in the Eneolithic and Bronze Age. The beginnings of the medieval settlement are dated back to the 2nd half of the 12th century, when a small timber church was erected adjacent to the cemetery. Relics of an early Gothic church were found in the west part of the yard, which has been remodelled into a residential house. Today, it consists of service and residential buildings from the 18th to the 1st half of the 20th centuries.
References: Jisl 1952b, 1955, 1964; Bakala 1969; Kouřil 1994; Šikulová 1966; Prix 2012; Šikulová – Zezula 2012.
Navigation point: N 49°59‘56.35“, E 17°48‘32.68“.
Map notes: Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.Sto zajímavých archeologických lokalit Moravy a Slezska – Holasovice