Bohuslavice u Kyjova, Hodonín distr., Southern Moravia Region
Early Medieval barrow cemetery
The first report of this early medieval barrow with skeletal and inhumation graves stems for 1931, when 50 circular or oval mounds were discovered. In 1989, the site was systematically researched. The burials below the barrows contained the remains of wooden coffins; among the grave goods were earrings, knives, finger rings, spurs and articles of daily use (pottery fragments etc.). Today, the cemetery is covered with a high deciduous forest, and almost all mounds are clearly detectable in the terrain. The diameters reach up to 12 m and the barrows are almost 100 cm in height. The south part of the barrow cemetery shows a lower embankment-like feature often interpreted as an old hollow way.
References: Skutil 1946; Dostál 1966; Kavánová 1993; Machová 2015.
Navigation point: N 49°03‘25.13“, E 17°06‘21.46“.
Map notes: 1–43 – barrows. Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.Sto zajímavých archeologických lokalit Moravy a Slezska – Bohuslavice u KyjovaMachová, B. 2015: Mohylová pohřebiště z oblasti Chřibů, Kyjovské pahorkatiny a Ždánického lesa. Využití GIS a jednoduché statistiky z pohledu prostorových analýz, Studia archaeologica brunensia 20/2, 95–110.pdf