Albrechtice u Sušice, Klatovy dist., Plzeň Region
Prehistoric hillfort ‘Sedlo’
(600 BC to 0; occasionally later)
The prehistoric ‘Sedlo’ hillfort is situated in a dominant location at a high altitude. Dated to the Hallstatt and La Tène Periods, the hillfort probably served as a residential site or refuge for the local social elite whose power could have been derived from gold panning on the Otava River. The hillfort is enclosed by a bank (without any ditch), typically incorporating natural rocks into the fortification system.
References: Dubský 1933, 1949; Beneš A. 1980; Zavřel 2000; Waldhauser 2001; Chytráček – Metlička 2004.
Navigation points: N 49°11'21.99", E 13°34'19.26" (east); N 49°11'29.31", E 13°34'00.77" (west).
Map notes: A, B – gates; C – bank recently interrupted by path; D – ‘bastions’, probably combining man-made structures with natural rock; E – inner bank; F – acropolis; G – the ‘cavern’ (a peculiar rock formation at the acropolis). Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.Archeologický atlas Čech – Albrechtice u SušiceZavřel, P. 2000: Nálezy z doby římské na hradišti Sedlo u Sušice, Sborník Národního Muzea v Praze, Řada A – Historie 54/1–4, 153–160.