Zabrušany, Teplice dist., Ústí nad Labem Region
Early Medieval hillfort
An Early Medieval hillfort of the 8th to the 11th century, whose function was later taken over by the Přemyslid administrative castle of Bílina. The originally tripartite settlement, fortified by a wood and earth chamber rampart with a frontal stone screen wall, was previously thought to be the residence of Prince Wistrach and his son Slavitah that was attacked in 857 by the Frankish army. The use of the hillfort by the social elite is perhaps documented by an assemblage of luxurious jewellery found in a ‘princely’ barrow grave in nearby Želénky. From the archaeological perspective, the hillfort is well-known primarily due to the ‘Zabrušany-type’ pottery produced in the 10th century in northwest Bohemia and Saxony.
References: Váňa 1951; Rusó 1991; Kotková 2012.
Navigation points: N 50°36'23.33", E 13°47'12.66" (southwest).
Map notes: A – outer bank, mostly destroyed during road construction; B – middle bank; C – inner bank; D – barrow grave in Želénky. Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.Váňa, Z. 1951: Slovanské hradiště u Zabrušan, Archeologické rozhledy 3/1, 53–55, 58–60, 90, 95.