Žabčice, Brno-Country dist., Southern Moravia Region
Medieval fortified manor and village
(from the mid-13th cent. to the beginning of the 15th cent.)
The ruins of Kulatý kopec fortified manor, situated in the area of the deserted medieval village of Koválov, are witness of a markedly modelled deserted manor in a flat landscape. All its building phases were subject to archaeological excavations. The site stood in the centre of interest already in the 19th century; archaeological excavations undertaken in the 2nd half of the 20th century provided evidence of its foundation sometime in the mid-13th century. The decline of this manor falls into the time around 1425. It is a motte consisting of a cone-shaped mound, one visible moat and partially preserved outer earthwork. The archaeological excavation provided evidence of three building phases and two fires. A church and a medieval cemetery were part of the deserted village. It was also possible to trace a fortification in some places. Lately, parts of the relief of this fully archaeologized site are becoming visible in the landscape.
References: Unger 1994; Plaček 2001.
Navigation point: N 49°00‘13.40“, E 16°34‘53.63“ (crossroad).
Map notes: A – hill in the shape of a truncated cone; B – ditch; C – earthwork; D – church; E – village; F – possible enclosure of the village. Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.