Koryčany, Kroměříž distr., Zlín Region
Early modern Jewish cemetery
(from the 1st half of the 17th cent. to 1942)
A Jewish cemetery above the settlement was founded in the 1st half of the 17th century, at a time, when the local Jewish quarter turned into a ghetto. After the number of their members diminished at the end of the 19th century, the religious community turned into a mere prayer association; before World War II, only a total of four Jewish families lived there. Most of the originally 26 houses have survived, but were remodelled. The cemetery contains 230 gravestones, the upper parts of which show the following motifs: Star of David, Cohanim Hands, Levite Pitcher and a wreath or a crown. The oldest gravestone stems from 1674, the latest from 1942. Apart from the gravestones, we can see the remains of the enclosing wall; the whole area is grassed and filled with trees. For some years, the cemetery has been being maintaining and is freely accessible.
References: Fiedler 1992; Kuča 1998; Klenovský 2001, 2010.
Navigation point: N 49°06‘31.05“, E 17°10‘04.64“ (entrance).
Map notes: 1 – Jewish school (today house No. 454); 2 – Synagogue (today store); A – Jewish cemetery; B – ceremonial hall; C – enclosing wall. Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.