Janov u Krnova, Bruntál distr., Moravian-Silesian Region
Medieval and early modern field systems
(from the 13th cent. to the 1st half of the 20th cent.)
The physical relief in the surroundings of Petrovice represents an example of well-preserved shapes of the terrain with a vast number of characteristic features, such as terraces, heaps, walls, earthworks and field borders. The beginnings of settlement are connected with the development of the interlinked villages of Petrovice, Janov and Jindřichov on the upper course of the Osoblaha River in the 13th century. Due to the large amount of stones and readability of altitudes, a high concentration of agricultural features occurs, which have reshaped the local relief. To date, visitors will – especially in the southern part of Janov – find buildings, the outer stone walls of which reach up to 2 m. The same technique was used by building the long walls between individual fields.
References: Hosák 1936, 1965; Prix – Zezula 2003; Skácel – Fojt – Škoda 2006; Riezner 2007.
Navigation point: N 50°14‘48.90“, E 17°28‘58.10“ (Janov-town square).
Map notes: Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.Riezner, J. 2007: Agrární formy reliéfu ve Zlatohorské vrchovině, Geomorfphologia Slovaca et Bohemica 7/1, 50–55.pdf