Bedřichov u Jablonce nad Nisou, Jablonec nad Nisou dist., Liberec Region
One of the earliest glassworks in the Jizera Mts. was founded in 1598 and remained in operation until the beginning of the 19th century. The most prominent remains include the production hall with remnants of the melting and cooling furnaces. An excavation at the site produced finds of glassmaking tools, waste as well as semi-finished and finished glass products.
References: Stará a kol. 2002.
Navigation points: N 50°47'41.14", E 15°08'41.42".
Map notes: 1–2 – later furnaces (built after 1711); 3 – complex of earlier melting furnaces and furnaces for tempering glassmaking pans; 4 – auxiliary furnace; 5 – central (main) melting and cooling furnaces (called ‘twins’; for a model of a typical ‘Czech’ Early Modern furnace, see p. 42); 6 – platform of an unknown purpose; 7 – entrance. Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.Stará, M. a kol. 2002: Předběžné výsledky archeologického výzkumu sklárny v Bedřichově v Jizerských horách, Archeologia technica 14, 35–41.Hais, R. 2013: Vývoj sklářských pecí, Sklář a keramik 3‐4, 55‐59.