Putim, Písek dist., South Bohemian Region
Camp sites of the Palaeolithic and Mesolithic
(300,000 to 7,000 years ago)
A hunter-gatherer landscape with seasonal settlement traces from various periods of the Palaeolithic and Mesolithic, dating to ca. 300,000 – 5,000 BC. Archaeological excavations and surveys revealed around fifty hunting camps situated on the edges of a former lake and wetlands that were changed into an artificial pond in the 16th century. The local environment provided hunters and gatherers with rich sources of food: fish, fowl, eggs, water plants, forest berries and large herbivores in the nearby woodlands. Human activities are primarily documented by chipped stone tools, found here in large quantities.
References: Dubský 1949; Fröhlich 1997; Michálek 2003; Vencl a kol. 2006, 2007; www_Putim.
Navigation points: N 49°14'58.45", E 14°05'45.87".
Map notes: A–C – areas with the most significant concentrations of Mesolithic sites. 1 – Middle Palaeolithic camp site; 2 – Upper Palaeolithic camp site; 3 – Late Palaeolithic camp site; 4 – Mesolithic camp site. Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.