Senorady, Brno-Country dist., Southern Moravia Region
Medieval castle Šance
(probably from the 14th cent. to the beginning of the 15th cent.)
The medieval remains of Šance represent an example of a two-part castle detectable only by means of archaeology, which has become a dominant element forming the landscape, without any larger intrusions into the mighty relics buried underground. The first mention dates the castle to 1398; at the end of the 15th century, it became useless and started to decay. The site is composed of two mounds surrounded by a distinctly shaped moat and earthwork. The east part of the castle is almost round or quadratic, the outer western part has an oval design. The surface of both mounds is fully archaeologized and does not show any traces of the walls. The sections of amateur trench pits show fragments of wattle and daub, which rather point to wooden constructions. Today, both parts of the castle, including the fortification of the south slope, are covered with grass; the western and northern slopes are forested.
References: Nekuda – Unger 1981; Plaček 2001.
Navigation point: N 49°07‘33.50“, E 16°14‘26.72“ (entrance from the U Staré brány street).
Map notes: A – ditch; B – earthwork; C – smaller mound in the eastern part of the castle; D – larger mound in the western part of the castle; E – remains of the outer ditch. Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.