Plav, České Budějovice dist., South Bohemian Region
Prehistoric barrow cemetery
The prehistoric barrow cemetery at Plav was used from the Bronze Age until the La Tène Period. It was completely investigated in the 19th century as one of the first monuments of this type. At this occasion, a plan of the site was drawn, which was not common in the early days of archaeology (its numbers, however, do not match the designations used for the identification of finds). The richest grave (no. 27) contained remains of burial of a prominent male in leather clothing studded with bronze circles.
References: Hraše – Stulík 1868; Dubský 1949; Sklenář 1983; Beneš A. a kol. 1999; Jiráň a kol. 2008; Chvojka – Michálek 2011.
Navigation points: N 48°53'52.82", E 14°28'27.06".
Map notes: 3–34 – barrows. Map symbols are available in the Downloads section.
Selected fulltext articles and reports for further reading. Complete bibliographical records are available in the Downloads section as the List of publications.Hraše, J. K. – Stulík, F. 1868: Mohyly Plavské v Budějovsku, Památky archeologické 7, 301–306.Sklenář, K. 1983: „Mohyly plavské v Budějovsku“ (Archeologický výzkum z roku 1866 ve světle dokumentů), Časopis Národního muzea – řada historická 152/1–2, 1–18.